RADIAL SHOCKWAVE THERAPY.
REDUCING PAIN, PROMOTING FASTER HEALING
What is it used for?
Shockwave is clinically proven and highly effective treatment for long standing tendon and soft tissue problems. The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has reviewed Shockwave Therapy and has approved guidelines for its application. It is found to be very effective for the treatment of:
- Achilles tendonitis
- Plantar fasciitis/heel pain
- Tennis elbow/golfers elbow
- Patellar tendonitis
- Iliotibial band friction syndrome (ITBFS)
- Trochanteric hip pain
- Other tendon problems
The treatment has a success rate of up to 80-90% and has found to be effective where other therapies have failed. It may prevent the need for surgery although it does not work for everyone.
What does shockwave do?
- Reduces pain
- Reduces excessive muscle tone
- Speeds up the healing rate
- New blood vessel formation
- Reduces inflammation
- Stimulates repair processes
- Breaks up calcium deposits in the tissues
- Breaks down scar tissue
Shockwave is an acoustic pressure wave similar to that created when a plane breaches the sound barrier or the sound of thunder. Long term inflammation doesn’t lead to complete repair in the tissues and in fact can lead to some tissue destruction. There is no end point to what should be a normal body process. Shockwave causes a new minor injury and stimulates the chemicals and cells involved in inflammation so that a new inflammatory response begins but ultimately stops when the repair is complete.
Is it painful?
The treatment can be a bit painful but as it progresses the pain lessens considerably. Some patients describe it as uncomfortable rather than painful but we have the ability to lower the settings if the discomfort is too much to handle. Generally there is a marked reduction in pain after the treatment. Some patients find that they develop a dull ache a few hours after treatment which may last a day or so.
Treatment frequency and cost
A series of between 3 -5 sessions is optimal for benefit. These are spaced at weekly intervals. Please allow up to 45 minutes for the first session to go through your medical history, your problem and examine you. You will receive treatment at the first session.
Thereafter sessions are 30 minutes during which you will receive a consultation on progress and any problems you may have, an examination, shockwave therapy and osteopathic treatment.
Single sessions – £75. . Current evidence shows that a minimum of 3 sessions, spaced weekly /fortnightly is necessary to achieve good results. The maximum necessary is 5 sessions.
Most insurance companies will contribute to shockwave treatment – it may be worth checking!
Unfortunately we cannot give you shockwave:
- If you have had a Cortico-Steroid injection in the
area in past 3 months
- If you are
- Over Lung tissue
- If you have a Cardiac pacemaker
- Over or near bone growth centers until bone growth is
complete (<18years old)
- Malignancy is known to be present in or near the treatment
- If you have open wounds, skin rashes, swollen,
inflamed, or infected areas
- Over ischemic tissues in individuals with vascular
- If you suffer a Coagulation disorder e.g. haemophilia
- If you take anticoagulant/antiplatelet medications –
Warfarin, Heparin, Clopidogril
- If you have an Infection at the treatment site